Clinical psychologists in South Tampa
For many adults, behavioral health conditions, such as depression, anxiety, memory loss and confusion, can be a serious daily challenge. At Memorial Hospital of Tampa, we are here to help. Our team of psychiatrists is committed to providing an accurate diagnosis and thorough treatment plan to help enhance the quality of life of our patients. We provide both inpatient and outpatient behavioral health services in South Tampa.
To learn more about the mental health care offered at our hospital, please call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (855) 245-8329.
Conditions we treat
We provide a full range of treatment options for patients facing a variety of mental health issues, including:
- Bipolar disorder
- Communication concerns
- Life stress
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Schizoaffective disorder
- Self-injurious and/ or suicidal thoughts
Please remember that a mental health emergency is a medical emergency. You can receive the care you need at both of our ER locations: the main ER at Memorial Hospital of Tampa and the Tampa Community ER. From either location, we are able to admit into our inpatient hospital unit.
Mental health services
Working together with Tampa Community Hospital, we offer a wide range of medical and behavioral health services, including:
- Addiction treatment
- Assistance with discharge planning and financial considerations
- Dietary consultation
- Education for patients and families
- Inpatient care
- Intensive outpatient program
- Partial hospitalization program
- Medication management
- Neurotherapy via electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
- Psychiatric assessment and treatment
- Recreational therapy assessment and treatment
We offer electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) as a proven, effective and safe alternative treatment option. It is best for patients with severe symptoms of certain behavioral health disorders and patients who are not responding to traditional medications.
ECT is a form of neurotherapy that delivers electrical stimulation to the brain through electrodes placed on the head. Patients are put to sleep during therapy to induce relaxation in the muscles and body. The stimulus produces changes to the brain waves that are characteristic of a generalized seizure. The seizure activity leads to the clinical improvement of behavioral health symptoms.
Inpatient adult behavioral health unit
Our hospital has a dedicated, 34-bed adult psychiatry unit that focuses on treating the unique physical and emotional needs of adults 18 years old and older. This adult behavioral health unit is a secured unit offering short-term treatment that stabilizes patients who are experiencing a crisis that can not be managed in an outpatient setting.
The physicians and psychiatrists will perform a comprehensive evaluation and determine an individualized treatment plan. The entire healthcare team in our adult behavioral health unit is committed to providing the compassionate care and emotional support each patient needs to heal.
During a stay in our unit, patients gain access to:
- Group psychotherapy
- Medication assessment and management
- Pyschoeducational groups
- Pastoral services
- Around-the-clock coverage by a psychiatrist and medical doctor
- Aftercare and discharge planning
Anyone can begin the referral process to our adult behavioral health unit, including friends, family members, primary care physicians, social service agencies, clergy and long-term care facilities.
TransitionsSMoutpatient behavioral health program
Transitions at Memorial Hospital of Tampa offers behavioral health programs to provide support for people with mental health concerns. Transitions is located on the main campus of our hospital across the street at the Wellness Pavilion. Transitions can be accessed on the left side of the building at the last door on the right. We are open daily from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
To learn more about the programs offered at Transitions, please call us at (813) 342-1551.
Programs offered at Transitions
When you are ready to ask for the help you need, Transitions is here with dedicated programs, including:
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP)—Patients participate in the IOP three days a week for four hours per day. The IOP teaches evidence-based coping skills and opportunities for processing individual concerns.
- Substance abuse intensive outpatient program (SAIOP)—This eight-week program is designed to help people recover from a dependence on alcohol or drugs. Patients are provided an individualized recovery plan, coping skills and education on understanding addiction.
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP)—The PHP offered at our hospital provides care five days a week. It is designed to serve patients in an alternate setting to an inpatient hospital unit or as a transitional step for patients returning home following psychiatric hospitalization.
Patients in all of our programs may receive the following care:
- Medication management by a psychiatrist, beginning on the first day of treatment
- Group therapy facilitated by licensed therapists
- Assessment and education provided by a registered nurse
- Individual therapy with a licensed therapist
- Access to additional medical specialties, as needed
- Individualized, comprehensive and interdisciplinary treatment plan
- Assistance arranging follow-up care after treatment
Following participation in one of the programs at Transitions, patients have access to our alumni group for up to two years. The alumni group meets once a week and provides support for your continued success.
Referrals to Transitions
Referrals to our IOP, SAIOP or PHP may be made by a psychiatrist, personal physician, hospital, mental health professional, family member, concerned friend or self-referral.
Free and confidential assessments are offered to anyone interested in exploring if their symptoms may be a good fit for one of the programs at Transitions.
The Oasis at Tampa Community Hospital
We are proud to offer medically supervised detox services at The Oasis at Tampa Community Hospital. Patients with substance abuse disorders are able to receive medically supervised care and support from board-certified psychiatrists as they go through the withdrawal process.
Inpatient mental health care at Tampa Community Hospital
In addition to The Oasis, a second adult treatment program is available on the campus of Tampa Community Hospital. It is an inpatient unit that focuses on diagnosis, intervention and stabilization of adults with behavioral health disorders. The unit prioritizes patient safety, security, privacy, confidentiality and comfort.
To provide extra support and care, the ER at Tampa Community Hospital is open 24/7 to assist with behavioral health needs. This includes assessing current psychological state, referring to outpatient care and checking people in to this inpatient unit.
To learn more about the inpatient care offered at Tampa Community Hospital, please call (813) 512-5742.
Multidisciplinary approach to care
A wide range of factors impact and are impacted by your mental health. For example, depression can negatively influence your thoughts, emotions, sleep patterns and appetite. For that reason, we take a multidisciplinary approach to mental health and wellness. The healthcare professionals at our hospital work together to address each patient's unique needs. The behavioral health care team includes:
- Behavioral health technicians
- Certified nursing assistants
- Licensed clinical social workers
- Registered nurses
- Rehabilitation therapists